Wayne N. Kawamoto
Managing Editor, www.smallbusinesscomputing.com
Nemx Software, a provider of anti-virus and secure content management products, announced a new version of Power Tools for Microsoft Exchange, and the launch of SecurExchange – Small Business Server (SBS) edition. Both products are geared to meet the growing need for email security protection at the server level to avoid the threats of virus attacks, filter out SPAM emails and monitor content.The company’s latest offerings are designed to meet the need for email secure content management, including malicious code, SPAM and blended threats as well as content management issues such as intellectual property and harassment concerns.
Nemx’s Power Tools for Microsoft Exchange 4.0 was designed for the Exchange environment and is a set of content management extensions and services designed to protect, safeguard and extend any enterprise’s Exchange server environment. According to the company, Power Tools is the first native Exchange product to employ Reverse Blacklist Technology (RBL), which provides real time information on known spamming hosts, enabling user to effectively “kill” 85% of incoming spam. This new version’s enhancements include concept based scanning, which may result in fewer “false positives” and “false negatives.”
To meet the varying needs of enterprises of different sizes, Nemx offers two versions of Power Tools, Internet edition and Advanced edition. Internet edition is installed at the Internet gateway location, offering a cost-effective solution for SMBs, and an inexpensive secondary line of defense for large enterprises. Advanced edition provides a higher level of functionality by monitoring internal mail for things such as user interaction in violation of corporate policy, and performing “after the fact” mailbox scanning for clean up of virus outbreaks or task based employee monitoring.
SecurExchange – Small Business Server (SBS) Edition – is a new offering that provides a solution for companies with Microsoft’s Small Business Server. This product is designed for the Exchange component of SBS, to meet the unique needs of small businesses, at a price point that is accessible to the small business market.
According to the company, both Power Tools for Microsoft Exchange 4.0 and SecurExchange SBS edition, offer the following features:
- Delivers Internet and intranet email monitoring, SPAM and virus filtering, adding of signatures and disclaimers, monitoring of content.
- Tightly coupled with Exchange and becomes an extension of Exchange. The product is installed on the same box as the Exchange Server and does not act as a proxy gateway, which may reduce hardware and software costs, and reduce administrative overhead and still increase overall system performance.
- Support for multiple “Reverse Blacklist Database” (RBL) lookup which should provide real time information on known spamming hosts, enabling its software users to effectively kill 85% of incoming SPAM.
- Automatic Content Interpretation of email and attachments for SPAM and content classification. Unlike most content filters that are built around simple keyword/key phrase search engines, the products include a content analysis engine which determines the intent of the incoming email.
- Once triggered, email may be acted upon in numerous different fashions. Quarantine, rerouting, copying, appending text, audit logging, and email, fax and pager notification are just a few actions that can be enabled for triggered email.
Pricing and Availability
Both Power Tools for Microsoft Exchange 4.0 and SecurExchange SBS edition will be commercially available in late September 2002. Pricing is dependent on components selected and number of connectors and/or mailboxes. Power Tools for Microsoft Exchange 2000 is priced at $790 per connector for base (Internet edition: SPAM and content manager), and at $999 for a 50-user license of the Advanced edition. SecurExchange SBS edition is priced at $495 for five users, and $1,249 per connector for 50 users. For more information about Nemx Software, please visit www.nemx.com.