Managing Editor, www.smallbusinesscomputing.com
McAfee Consumer Products, a division of Network Associates, launched an updated anti-virus product line for the personal, home office and small business computing markets. According to the company, its security software has been enhanced to include new features, while providing customers with one of the highest levels of security protection available.
The newly revamped products include McAfee VirusScan Home Edition 7.0 with heuristics via Hostile Activity Watch Kernel (HAWK) protection and an integrated personal firewall; McAfee Internet Security 5.0, a security suite with extended sets of privacy protection and parental controls, McAfee Firewall with hacker tracing capabilities, and McAfee QuickClean 3.0, with cleaners and added spyware detection.
- VirusScan Home 7.0: In addition to virus detection and removal capabilities and a built-in firewall, the new version of VirusScan Home Edition 7.0 software includes enhanced HAWK functionality that's designed to support Outlook Express, Eudora and other SMTP email. VirusScan's new Script Stopper promises to keep computers safe from script-initiated threats that spread viruses like "I Love You."
Estimated street price: $49.99.
- VirusScan Professional 7.0: Enhancing the VirusScan Home Edition 7.0 product, additional features include QuickClean Lite, a "one click" method to clean and free up file and disk space, secure data shredding for privacy protection, and wireless scanning for Palm OS and synchronization scanning for other PDA platforms.
Estimated street price: $59.99.
- McAfee Firewall 4.0: McAfee Firewall software includes heightened protection for users with "always on" Internet connections. Enhanced hacker tracing may turn the tables on hackers and help trace them back to the source so users can report suspicious activity to their Internet service provider. McAfee Firewall 4.0 offers improved control settings so firewall rules are simple and easy ensuring users have the right level of protection.
Estimated street price: $29.99
- McAfee QuickClean 3.0: QuickClean 3.0 software now includes spyware detection to enhance privacy by rooting out snooper programs that attempt to track customer's Web surfing habits and other activity unknown to the user. Improved Application Remnant Cleaner (ARC) should maintain a healthy PC by removing remaining files and folder, and Most Recently Used (MRU) file cleaning eliminates telltale lists of files that are often accessed in popular applications.
Estimated street price:$29.99
- McAfee Internet Security 5.0 (MIS): MIS 5.0 new features include stealth program detection, and newsgroup and web bug filtering enhancements. McAfee improved its parental control features to ensure families' safety and privacy while surfing online.
Estimated street price: $69.99
Competitive upgrade rebates will be available on all products to transition new and existing customers to the latest McAfee product line. For more information, please visit the company's web site at http://www.mcafee-at-home.com.